Home drugs a-z list side effects drug center celebrex (celecoxib) drug – consumer uses and warnings
What is celecoxib (CeleBREX)?
Celecoxib is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Celecoxib works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Celecoxib is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by many conditions such as arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and menstrual pain. Celecoxib is used to treat juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in children who are at least 2 years old. Celecoxib is also used in the treatment of hereditary polyps in the colon.
Celecoxib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of celecoxib (CeleBREX)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: sneezing, runny or stuffy nose; wheezing or trouble breathing; hives; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of a heart attack or stroke: chest pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, feeling short of breath.
Stop using celecoxib and call your doctor at once if you have:
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
- shortness of breath (even with mild exertion);
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- signs of stomach bleeding–bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- liver problems–nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling, flu-like symptoms, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- kidney problems–little or no urinating, painful or difficult urination, swelling in your feet or ankles, feeling tired or short of breath;
- low red blood cells (anemia)–pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating; or
- severe skin reaction–fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Common side effects may include:
- stomach pain, indigestion, gas, diarrhea;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about celecoxib (CeleBREX)?
Celecoxib can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or take high doses, or if you have heart disease. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Celecoxib may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using celecoxib, especially in older adults. You should not take this medicine if you already have bleeding in your stomach or intestines.